Thursday, June 7, 2012

First story: The cable car ride - part 1


Today I will post my first attempt in doing something like a short story in pictures for my daughter.

My daughter is a huge fan of cable cars. Here in Cologne there is a quite old cable car from the 50's that is still in use. It connects both sides of the river Rhine and it takes about 7-8 minutes to get from one side to the other. It's a funny ride just about 20-30 meters above the surface of the Rhine and a bridge that crosses the Rhine. The cable car itself is a relict from a large outdoor exhipition that took place in the 50's here in Cologne and because of its age it has a kind of steampunk atmosphere.

Anyway, Since the first time when my wife and me took our daughter to the cable car, she's hooked on it. At least every second day she asks us to take a ride with the cable car.

So I came to the idea of drawing a little story about my daughter taking an unusual ride with a cable car. Half based on my experience of trying to get her to sleep, half stolen from Little Nemo in Slumberland the story starts in her bed while she's having trouble in falling asleep. Then suddenly an empty cable car appears in her room and offers her a ride that is -well- not like the trip over the Rhine.


Sketch Book Pro
I first start to scribble my ideas for the drawings as I did in former times with a pencil. For this I used the iPad app : sketch book pro. It is a very good app and I highly recommend it, even it is not my only drawing and painting app. I just used the pencil tool of sketch book pro adjusted to the smalest size. I made the first sketches on my iPad 1 quite a while ago. At this time sketch book pro hasn't got such a high resolution canvas as it has now, so the pencil strokes apear on some drawings larger than on others. I worked a lot with layers. Everytime I added a new object to the scene, I did this on a new layer. This makes it easier to delete the whole thing, if you made something wrong without the need of delicate eraser work. Another advantage while using layers is the compositing option. Sometimes, you are not happy with the sizes of the single objects or the distance between two objects. If you have the objects on different layers, you can move each single layer and scale it as long as you are happy with the result. This technic made things much easier than my former attempts with pencil and Paper.

Stylus
I guess for the first drawings I used a Pogo sketch stylus, but I have to say, that I don't like these foam tips. After trying out a lot of different kinds of stylus, I'm using the Bamboo iPad stylus from Wacom. Not really the cheapest one, but definetly a good one. I don't want to go too deep into discussing which stylus to use for the iPad as I will do one of the next posts just about this theme. 

So maybe I should stop talking now and first show the scribbles or predrawings I've already made.

So here are the scribbles for page 1 and page 2:

page 1

page 2


the next drawings will follow

No comments:

Post a Comment